Online energy-saving help:
- NGEMC energy-saving tips
- TVA energy right®
- Touchstone Energy®
- Touchstone Energy's 101 Ways to Save Energy and Money
- Southface Energy Institute
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Energy Star
- Efficient Windows Collaborative
- National Fenestration Rating Council
- Alliance to Save Energy
As a result of the stimulus package, the U.S. Department of Energy’s Weatherization Assistance Program is expanding with a goal of weatherizing 1 million homes each year. In the past, only households that earned up to 150 percent of the national poverty level were eligible to participate. The stimulus bill extends eligibility to those with incomes up to 200 percent of the national poverty level. For a family of four, that’s an income limit of $44,100.
Weatherization is the process by which homes are made more energy efficient. This result is accomplished through a series of relatively easy energy conservation measures. Homes that have been weatherized require less energy to heat and cool, resulting in lower utility bills and a higher standard of living.
How do I apply for weatherization?
- Step one: Contact the local service agency for your county (Find your county in the list below). The agency will determine whether you are eligible for the program.
- Step two: If you qualify, a weatherization technician will conduct an energy audit on your home. Diagnostic equipment is used to identify air filtration, pressure imbalances and areas of heat loss. Technicians also evaluate energy-related health and safety conditions.
- Step three: After acceptance into the program and initial evaluations, weatherization crews will install the most cost-effective energy-efficiency measures. The maximum amount of funding that the program will allow on each house is $6,500.
Local service agencies for the Weatherization Assistance Program
- North Georgia Community Action Agency
- (706) 692-5623
- Counties: Catoosa (706-858-0926), Chattooga (706-857-0729), Murray (706-695-5913), Walker (706-638-0818) and Whitfield (706-226-7241
- Tallatoona Community Action Partnership
- (770) 382-5388
- Counties: Floyd (706-295-7124) and Gordon (706-629-2333)
For more on the weatherization assistance in Georgia, visit the Georgia Weatherization Assistance Program Web site.