Facts about NGEMC
North Georgia EMC was established on May 13, 1936 as a rural electric cooperative. Cooperatives are organized for the benefit of their members, not for the financial benefit of stockholders or shareholders. Cooperatives are special because they are owned by the membership they serve and are managed and operated by a member-elected board of directors. The ideals that guide the cooperative business model include: Self-Help, Self-Responsibility, Democracy, Equality, Equity, Solidarity, Honesty, Openness, Social Responsibility and Caring for Others.
Counties Served - Catoosa, Chattooga, Floyd, Gordon, Murray, Walker, and Whitfield in Northwest Georgia
Membership Mix – 85 % residential customers, 15 % commercial/industrial customers
Load Mix – 60% residential, 40% percent commercial/industrial
Power Provider: NGEMC purchases its power from the Tennessee Valley Authority.
Our system: Our system is comprised of 33 substations and more than 6,000 miles of line.
Our Peak: Located in the Northwest Georgia Mountains, North Georgia EMC is a winter peaking system with an all time peak demand of 714 megawatts on Jan. 19, 2009.
Leadership: North Georgia EMC is governed by a seven-member Board of Directors elected to three-year terms by the membership of the co-op. This board sets policy and oversees the operation of the organization. Reporting to the board are the President and CEO, management staff, and about 200 employees who work out of NGEMC's four area offices.