In the days when Americans were laboring to unshackle the bonds of the Great Depression, farmland USA was clamoring to receive rural electricity. It was a period when fewer than five percent of American farms had the advantage and joys of electric power.
In 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt created Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) as a part of the New Deal package designed to lift the nation from the doldrums of the Great Depression. On May 11, 1935, at Warm Springs, Ga., he signed Executive Order 70037 to create the Rural Electrification Administration, later to become the Rural Utility Services.
North Georgia Electric Membership Corporation (NGEMC) was chartered by the State of Georgia on May 11, 1936, one year to the day after the REA Executive Order was executed. NGEMC is Georgia's second oldest electric cooperative.
On July 14, 1936, TVA energized North Georgia EMC's first line. It was located in Catoosa County, just below the Georgia-Tennessee state line.
It was a tough row to hoe for North Georgia EMC, but prayers, desires, and determination bore fruit. There were battles with private power companies, federal and state policies and opposition from those who were reluctant to grant right-of-ways for setting poles and stringing lines. But the farmers who envisioned a better lifestyle through electricity were successful.
North Georgia EMC Pioneers: First Directors
R.H. Bandy (1936-1951 Catoosa) Board President
T.W. Colvard Jr. (1936-1971 Murray) Vice President
J.C. Johnston (1936-1937 Whitfield)
R.L. Fuller Sr. (1936-1972 Gordon) Director
R.P.Brison (1937-1949 Chattooga) Director
E.P. Hall (1936-1937 Walker) Director
Joe B. Davis (1936-1939 Floyd) Director